Take out a pen and paper, it’s time to brainstorm!
Why are you telling this story? Why is it important?
Now write that down and keep it somewhere you can see as you work on your story.
Before you start writing, brainstorm your ideas. Here are some methods I really like for just getting my thoughts on paper and getting my brain going.
Here are some methods I like for planning:
- An outline with bullet points and as much detail as possible
- Talking to a friend; sometimes explaining things out loud helps you clear things up!
- Mind mapping:
After you’ve got some ideas, do some research! What expertise can you bring to the subject? This doesn’t mean you have to be THE expert, but backing up your statements with facts from solid sources will validate your writing. Here are some questions to consider before you get started
- Who is your audience?
- What level of knowledge are you assuming they already have? What do they need to know to understand your story?
- What new angle or perspective can you bring to the subject?
- Do you need to interview someone with more expertise or experience with a subject?