Editing polishes your piece until it’s squeaky clean and ready to publish. Here are some things I do to make sure my writing is ready to publish and something I’m proud to put my name on.
- Read the piece out loud. You hear every awkward phrasing when you read it aloud.
- Put a star next to any question you raise in your piece, do you answer it?
- Put your piece in this app to help point out any weak areas that could be improved.
- Don’t be afraid to include pictures – is there something easier explained in a picture?
- Don’t have a wall of text – the shorter the paragraph the better!
- Finally name your piece! Maybe you had a great title already from the beginning, I tend to name my articles last after I’ve gotten more familiar with it (after all my drafts). Here’s a resource to help strengthen your titles.
A project of
in collaboration with