Why join Planet Forward? To make your case, because we think you, as members of civil society have as much to add to the discussion as any expert. Planet Forward is both new and something completely different: a web site and a television show where citizens get to debate with experts on environmental issues. At Planet Forward, the discussion begins on the web, moves to TV, and then continues back on the web. It’s an innovative way of integrating web and television for brainstorming and proposing solutions to critical challenges facing our nation. Currently we are looking for the best ideas that answer this question.
• Contributors submitting content must either be age 18 or older, or, age 13 to 18, submitting content with the permission of a parent.
• Submissions should come from individuals rather than organizations. Transparency is quite important to us. If you’re representing an organization’s viewpoint we expect you will say so.
• All points of view are welcome. Members whose work is judged most creative, most informative or most persuasive by the online community and Planet Forward’s editors may have their work showcased on this site or a future Planet Forward program.
Planet Forward is interested in well thought-out, reasoned ideas on a wide range of environmental topics. Right now, we’re focused on the question of how individuals, communities and organizations can reduce their carbon footprint? This is the subject of our next television special.
In this question we are most interesting in the ‘how-to’ aspect.Topics you might want to address in your Planet Forward viewpoint include, but are not limited to:
• Prospects for renewable and alternative energy sources
• New forms of conservation
• Behavior changes in the way we travel, work and live that can be adopted by ordinary citizens
• Best practices organizations (e.g., universities, businesses and their associations, or religious groups) can adopt locally, nationally and internationally
• Policy changes that can be adopted by local, state and national governments.
• Actions or policy changes that international agencies, for example, the U.N., can undertake.
It’s easy to submit content to Planet Forward. Make sure you read our Terms of Service, so you know your rights, and then put together your thoughts for us in one of the following formats:
• Supported video formats: .mov, .mpg, .avi, .3gp and .wmv and.mp4. But to get your video looking its best we suggest using the”iPod video” format. This is h.264 mp4 with AAC audio.
• Video dimensions: the size 426×324 will give you the sharpest look
• Video file size limit: 100MB
• Suggested video length: 1 – 3 minutes.
• Using HDCAM or other High Definition media gives the best image quality, but standard definition is okay too.
• Audio is often the weakest link. If there’s audio in your video,do all you can during the recording and editing process to make sure your audience will be able to hear your audio and hear it clearly.
• Be creative! Videos can be anything from a web cam commentary to a music video.
• If you feel like your video doesn’t say all you want to say, use the description section to flesh out your idea further. Above all,embed links and site your sources! Make your presentation bullet-proof.
Written Commentary, Article, Poem, Or Song Lyrics
• All submissions in writing are limited to 800 words.
• Make a reasoned argument, report on a new field of research,share a personal experience — even write a poem or a song.
• Accompanying photos, charts or graphs (.jpg, .png or .gif file size is limited to 10MB) are strongly encouraged.
• You can put together a slideshow in PowerPoint, Flash, or Quicktime (total file size cannot exceed 10MB) to supplement your writing.
Podcast Or Song
• Supported format: mp3 (only)
• Audio file size limit: 20MB.
• Songs much be your original work, which means you hold the copyright. Songs uploaded illegally will be removed promptly.
• See our Terms of Service regarding the rights you are releasing when you upload youf music.
• Be serious or humorous, personal or global. Be clear; be passionate.
• Be on point: any submission is welcome, but only submissions that answer our topic question will be considered for inclusion in our television special.
• Repetitious or excessive use of descriptives, superlatives, or other inducements to buy is not allowed. Words or phrases such as”only $19.95,” “superbly illustrated,” and “exciting collection,”and “you won’t want to be without” are unacceptable. Calls to action, such as “Pick up the phone” and “Click Here” are not acceptable.
• Accuracy matters. Your opinions will have greater impact if you cite the facts on which they are based. Give credit where it isdue. Don’t plagiarize.
• Have fun: a satirical video or limerick can be as powerful as a more traditional Op Ed commentary.
• Own your ideas. Take full advantage to complete your membership profile.
• And be civil. We cannot accept libelous, obscene or otherwise illegal material. And submissions may mention but should not promote a particular product or service.
• For more details, please read our terms of Terms of Service and FAQ. Planet Forward reserves the right to remove a submission for any reason.
We respect the rights of copyright holders and expect you to doso as well. Don’t include in your submission material that is protected by copyright law unless you have explicit permission from the copyright holder. If necessary, we will ask you to present written approval of that permission. This includes music, video,photographs, artwork, text, and other content that you might find on websites, blogs, TV or radio or in books, magazines, newspapers,libraries, etc. In other words: get permission, or come up with your own material.
Respect the privacy of others. Don’t use hidden cameras or record conversations without the permission of all involved.
Bear in mind that you are legally responsible for what you submit.
For questions about submissions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org